Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Popular culture as folk culture

In comparison to last weeks chapter of epic length, I found these tales much easier to get through and was captivated by the imagery presented. I'm not very familiar with magical realism and am eager to discuss these stories in class and get a better understanding of the basic plot. I found "The Pongo's Dream" pretty straightforward, but thats not to say it wasn't impressive. I was afraid that it was going to end with the pongo dying tragically and was pleasantly surprised to find a reversal of roles between the master and servant when it counts the most. Furthermore I enjoyed learning about Arguedas efforts to keep the indigenous culture alive. Even though he wasn't brought up a servant, he fought for the "Incan tongue" and helped to inspire movements of people to defend themselves. On the other hand while reading the multiple legends by Asturias, I was bombarded with vibrant illustrations of these mythical characters. I kept imagining an intricate storybook of sorts, flipping the pages in my head as the tale progressed. It was hard for me to keep my mind set to the actual plot or message of the stories, my brain still hung up on the descriptions of the creatures and setting where the action was taking place. I especially liked the "Legend of the Singing Tablets", the idea of a "Moon- Chewer" really appealed to me. Furthermore I really liked the line explaining the full moon as "the swelling moon which suddenly could no longer be contained either in their mouths, or their eyes..". Moreover the notion that everything is made of something else that is natural, "those who wove mats and embroidered with butterfly wings". In addition the tablets themselves only being written on in dew and "blood of warbling birds". In summation I found the task of reading these beliefs written into fables a very pleasurable activity.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with the magicla aspect of these short stories. It was difficult to actually get his point with all the imagery and symbolism. I often also found myself getting lost in the grand ideas and dream-like scenarios that was these stories. With that said I truly enjoyed the way they made my mind wander, especially in the first story, with the idea of a 'moon chewer'.
    Although the second story was I agree, more straightforward, I enjoyed it all for what it was. I enjoy stories of underdogs and this was the perfect diss. This one wasn't as visually pleasing as the first but I still enjoyed the underlying message.

    ReplyDelete